Juicy and tender chicken, crispy bacon, fresh tomato, crunchy lettuce, smashed avocado and spicy mayo. Served between two slices of sprouted whole grain bread, this sandwich is hearty, flavorful and healthy.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Chicken: I buy boneless, skinless thin sliced chicken for this recipe. You can buy the thicker chicken breasts and slice them length ways to make them thinner.
Sprouted Whole Grain Bread: For this recipe I used Dave’s Killer bread. How is sprouted grain bread different than wheat bread? It’s means the sprouts have been caught during the germinating process, meaning it will have a higher level of nutrients when compared to wheat bread. In addition to that, it also breaks down phyate, which normally decreases the number of vitamins and minerals available to be absorbed into the body. They also likely have a lower level of starch and are therefore easier to digest. Win!
Bacon: I prefer to cook bacon in the oven. I think it comes out perfectly crispy and is much easier to clean up. Be sure to line the baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Avocado: One of my favorite healthy fats, avocado is jam packed with nutrients. It’s high in vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium, fiber, folate, vitamin B5 and B6 and vitamin E. In this recipe, it’s just mixed with lime juice and salt and pepper to make a flavorful guacamole which is the perfect taco topping.
Tomato: High in the antioxidant lycopene as well as vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.
Taco Seasoning: This is added to the mayo for some extra spice and flavor, you can also leave it out and just use the mayo on it’s own.
How to Cook the Chicken in the Air Fryer:
*If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can bake or grill chicken instead!
Step 1: Brush chicken with olive oil
Step 2: Season with pepper, salt, paprika and garlic powder
Step 3: Place chicken (seasoned side down) into air fryer
Step 4: Brush opposite side of chicken and season
Step 5: Cook at 360 for 15 minutes, flipping chicken half way through
2 slices sprouted whole grain bread, toasted 1. Place bacon on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Cook in oven at 400 for 15-18 minutes.
1 thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked in the air fryer
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp paprika
1/2 avocado, smashed
2 pieces of bacon
1 piece of romaine lettuce
1/2 tomato, sliced
1 tbsp organic mayo
1 tsp taco seasoning
2. Place chicken breast on a cutting board. Brush 1/2 olive oil on one side, sprinkle with half of the seasonings (pepper, salt, garlic powder, paprika). Place the chicken breast (seasoned side down) in the air fryer. Brush other side with oil and season.
3. Cook chicken at 360 for 15 minutes, flipping chicken half way through.
4. While the chicken and bacon are cooking, smash avocado, slice tomato and tear lettuce. Set aside.
5. Place mayo in a small bowl, sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir to mix.
6. Place bread in the toaster and toast to desired level.
7. When bacon is done, remove from oven and pat with paper towel to remove extra fat.
8. Assemble sandwich by spreading avocado on one piece of toast, mayo on the other, and stacking the other ingredients in between. Enjoy!
2 slices sprouted whole grain bread, toasted
1. Place bacon on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Cook in oven at 400 for 15-18 minutes.