Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is flavorful, tender and colorful. Made with a sweet and savory sauce, lean chicken breasts and pineapple. Simply place the ingredients in the slow cooker, set aside and come back just a few hours later to a perfectly cooked meal.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Chicken Breasts: I prefer to buy boneless skinless chicken breasts because they are the most lean. They are packed with protein and when cooked in the slow cooker they come out perfectly juicy.
Pineapple: Adds so much flavor and color to this recipe. Pineapple is also high in vitamins and minerals and antioxidant. It is an especially great source of vitamin C and manganese.
Red Bell Peppers: High in vitamin C, A, fiber and antioxidants, red bell peppers are one of my favorite veggies.
Island Soyaki Sauce: I bought this from Trader Joe’s and it’s the perfect addition to this recipe. If you don’t have access to a Trader Joe’s, another soyaki or even teriyaki sauce will work well.
How to Make Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken:
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken could not be easier to make. Simply brown the chicken, toss the rest of the ingredients (except the bell peppers) in the slow cooker and let cook for 4-6 hours. Once the chicken is done, add in the peppers, cook for another 30 minutes and you’re all set. Serve over quinoa or rice and top with fresh parsley, sesame seeds and extra fresh pineapple.
How Do I Pick Cook Time in the Slow Cooker?
Each slow cooker is slightly different, so I like to give time ranges. For this recipe, it is best to set your cooker to the low setting. From there, it will take 4-6 hours. You will know your chicken is done when it falls apart as you grab it with 2 forks. The great thing about the slow cooker, is even if you let it cook for longer than necessary, it won’t overcook your meal (within reason). Make sure to check out this Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup and this Slow Cooker Beef and Spicy Sausage Chili.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts 1. Pour olive oil into a hot skillet and then place chicken breasts into skillet. Cook 3 minutes per side.
1 yellow onion, chopped
1.5 lbs cut pineapple (about 3 cups)
2 red bell peppers, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup Trader Joe's Island Soyaki sauce
Extra fresh pineapple (optional)
2. While the chicken is cooking, chop onion, pineapple (I buy pre-chopped) and place into slow cooker.
3. Pour sauce ingredients into a mason jar and shake to combine.
4. Place chicken into slow cooker and pour in sauce. Use a large spoon to stir ingredients.
5. Cook for 4-6 hours on low. You'll know the chicken is done, when you can easily pull the chicken breast a part with 2 forks.
6. Add in the sliced bell peppers, cook for another 30 minutes on low heat.
7. Serve over rice or quinoa and top with parsley, sesame seeds and fresh pineapple.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Pour olive oil into a hot skillet and then place chicken breasts into skillet. Cook 3 minutes per side.