Slow Cooker Bolognese Rotini has lean ground beef, coconut milk, fresh veggies and herbs and couldn’t be easier to make. Set it, forget it and it’s ready 3 hours later. High in protein and antioxidants, this pasta makes the perfect dinner.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Lean Ground Beef: I used the Organic Lean Ground Beef from Trader Joe’s. A great source of protein and iron.
Chickpea Rotini Pasta: Made entirely from Chickpeas, they are a great source of protein and fiber. An excellent gluten free option. I used this one from Barilla
Crushed Tomatoes: High in the antioxidant lycopene, they are healthy and delicious.
Carrots: A great source of beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K, potassium and antioxidants.
Garlic Cloves: I buy the garlic from Trader Joe’s that are pre peeled, this takes out a step for chopping garlic.
Reduced Fat Coconut Milk: It has all the same flavors as the full-fat version but is much lower in calories. It has a nice silky texture.
How to Make Slow Cooker Bolognese Rotini:
Slow Cooker Bolognese Rotini is so easy. Set it and forget it and it’s ready 3 hours later. Let’s get started.
1st Step: Pour olive oil into a medium hot skillet. Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic and parsley. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2nd Step: Pour veggies into a bowl and set aside.
3rd Step: Add ground beef to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cook until brown. About 5 mins.
4th Step: Add veggies, meat, crushed tomatoes, coconut milk, bay leaf and wine to slow cooker. Cook on high for 3 hours.
5th Step: Cook pasta according to package directions.
6th Step: Serve sauce over pasta and top with parsley and cheese.
1 tbsp olive oil 1. Pour olive oil into medium hot skillet
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cups shredded carrots
3 celery stalks, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
Handful parsley, finely chopped
2 lbs lean ground beef
2 cans (28 oz each) crushed tomatoes
1 cup reduced fat coconut milk
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry white wine
8 oz chickpea rotini
2 tbsp shaved parmesan
2. Add carrots, celery, parsley and garlic. Cook for 2-3 mins.
3. Pour veggies into a bowl and set aside.
4. Add meat to skillet and break up as it cooks.
5. Sprinkle salt and pepper. Cook meat until it has browned. About 5 mins.
6. Add veggies and meat to slow cooker.
7. Add crushed tomatoes and coconut milk.
8. Add bay leaf. Stir ingredients.
9. Top with white wine.
10. Cook on high for 3 hours.
11. Cook pasta according to package directions.
12. Serve pasta into bowl. Top with sauce, cheese and parsley.
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Pour olive oil into medium hot skillet