A healthy take on the popular Chinese dish, this recipe is high in protein, nutrient dense and so flavorful. Juicy chicken breaded in flaxseed and brown rice flour, coated in a sweet and tangy orange sauce. It comes together in 30 minutes and is very easy to make.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Chicken Tenderloins: A great source of lean protein. You could also use chicken breast and cut it into small pieces
Ground Flaxseed: This is the first layer of the breading. Rather than using cornstarch (which is commonly used for this), I much prefer flaxseed. It is high in omega 3’s fiber and lignans, which may help prevent cancer.
Brown Rice Flour: High in fiber, and magnesium, this is a great gluten-free flour.
Orange Juice: High in vitamin c, folate and potassium, it adds so much flavor to the sauce and is very healthy
Soy Sauce: I always buy the low sodium version. It has just as much flavor and is much healthier.
1 lb chicken tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces 1. In 3 separate bowls, place ground flaxseed, whisked eggs and brown rice flour.
2 red bell peppers, cut into bite size pieces
1 yellow onion, cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2-1 tsp salt
2 cups orange juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3 tbsp honey
2. Place bite size chicken into ground flaxseed and coat. Do the same with the eggs and then brown rice flour.
3. Put 1 tbsp of coconut oil into a large skillet and heat to medium.
4. Place chicken into skillet and cook for about 6 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through.
5. While the chicken is cooking, chop red bell peppers and onion. Set aside.
6. Place sauce ingredients into a bowl and whisk. Set aside.
7. Remove chicken from skillet. Add other tbsp of coconut oil to skillet.
8. Add bell peppers and onion to skillet. Cook 2 minutes.
9. Add chicken back into skillet, then add sauce and salt. Stir to coat.
10. Simmer over medium heat covered for 8 minutes. Remove cover and simmer for another 2 minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken.
11. Serve over rice, quinoa, or a harvest grain blend (Trader Joe's). Top with sesame seeds and enjoy.
1 lb chicken tenderloins, cut into bite size pieces
1. In 3 separate bowls, place ground flaxseed, whisked eggs and brown rice flour.
I absolutely LOVE this one!!! Thank you ChefNat😊👍💕