Coconut Thai Curry Chicken has a creamy coconut sauce, semi spicy curry, fresh herbs and juicy chicken. All made in one skillet, it takes less than 30 minutes to make and is easy to clean up. It’s the perfect weeknight meal.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Boneless Skinless Chicken: A great source of lean protein. I highly recommend brining the chicken before cooking it. See instructions below
Fresh Garlic: High in vitamin C, B6 and manganese, fresh garlic adds so much flavor to this recipe.
Fresh Ginger: Extremely high in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, fresh ginger is very aromatic and also very flavorful.
Red Curry Paste: I love this one from Thai Kitchen.
Fresh Basil: High in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Many of the health benefits no longer exist once basil has been dried, so I use fresh whenever possible. It tastes much better, too!
Coconut Milk: I normally use light or reduced fat coconut milk, but in this recipe I definitely recommend using the full fat version.
How to Make Coconut Thai Curry Chicken:
Coconut Thai Curry Chicken is so easy to make and one of my favorite recipes. It’s all made in one skillet, which makes clean up easy. Let’s get started!
1st Step: Brine the chicken (see directions below). This step is optional but definitely recommended.
2nd Step: Cut chicken into bite size pieces and cook in skillet with coconut oil until brown. About 3-4 minutes per side.
3rd Step: Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
4th Step: Add coconut oil, onion and red pepper to skillet. Cook a couple minutes until the veggies begin to soften.
5th Step: Add fresh garlic and fresh ginger. Stir and Cook 30 seconds.
6th Step: Add curry powder, ground cardamom and curry paste. Stir to coat veggies.
7th Step: Pour in coconut milk and add chicken. Cook another 5 minutes.
8th Step: Add fresh herbs and serve with flatbread and rice or veggies of choice.
How to Brine Chicken:
This step can be skipped if you are short on time, but it really helps make the chicken extra juicy, so I recommend doing it if you can. Simply place the chicken breasts into room temperature water with a 1/2 tbsp of salt. Let soat for 5-10 minutes. Remove chicken from water and pat dry.
Make sure to check out these other Chef Nat recipes: Air Fryer Chicken Parm, Honey Balsamic Glazed Salmon and Goat Cheese Prosciutto Flatbread.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts 1. Brine chicken for 10 minutes (optional, instructions above).
1 yellow onion, diced
2 tbsp coconut oil, divided
2 red bell peppers, sliced
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp ground coriander
4 tbsp red curry paste
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 pieces garlic indian flatbread
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
3. Place 1 tbsp coconut oil into an extra large skillet and heat over medium.
4. Add chicken and cook until brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
5. Remove chicken from skillet and place onto a plate. Set aside.
6. Place 1 tbsp coconut oil into skillet and add onions and bell peppers. Cook 2 mins.
7. Add fresh garlic and ginger. Stir and cook 30 seconds.
8. Add curry powder, ground cardamom and curry paste. Stir to coat onions and peppers. Cook 3 minutes.
9. Pour in coconut milk and then put chicken back into skillet. Cook 3-5 minutes.
10. Add basil, cilantro and mint and stir.
11. Serve with garlic indian flatbread and rice or veggies of choice.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Brine chicken for 10 minutes (optional, instructions above).