Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins make the perfect fall snack. Made with almond flour, they are gluten free, full of flavor and super moist.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Almond Flour: High in fiber and gluten free, this flour is the perfect alternative to wheat
Eggs and Egg Whites: They add protein to the muffins and help to hold them together
Honey Crisp Apples: You can use any type of apple, but honey crisp are one of the sweetest apples, so they work really well in baking. They are also a great source of fiber and vitamin C.
Cinnamon Apple Sauce: The perfect apple sauce for this recipe. With the extra flavor of cinnamon, adding this helps keep the muffins super moist.
Maple Syrup: You could also use honey as a sweetener, but I think the maple works perfectly with the apple and cinnamon flavors.
How to Make Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
These blueberry and lemon muffins are so easy to make!
- Grab two mixing bowls, one medium sized and one large
- In the large mixing bowl, place dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda) and set aside.
- In the other mixing bowl, place eggs and egg whites and whisk. Add in maple syrup, coconut oil and apple sauce. Whisk again.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet into the dry. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Pour in apples and fold into batter.
- Using a spoon, scoop muffin batter into greased (with coconut oil) muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven using oven mitts. The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the muffins.
- Place muffin tin on a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes, then carefully remove muffins from tin and place back on cooling rack. Enjoy immediately or follow storing instructions below.
Cooling Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
Don’t you hate it when you make muffins, you’re super excited to eat them, and then you go to remove them from the muffin tin and they are all stuck?! That could be because you didn’t quite grease the pan enough before you added the batter, but it’s likely because you didn’t cool them properly. When you remove the muffin tin from the oven, follow these simple steps to make sure the muffins come out perfectly.
- Place muffin tin on cooling rack for 2-3 minutes
- While the muffins are still slightly warm, carefully remove the muffins from a muffin tin using a rubber spatula and your hands. If the muffins are a little stuck, use a thin knife to help separate them from the side of the tin.
- Place warm muffins back on cooling rack until they are room temperature (unless you are eating them right away, in that case, by all means enjoy!)
Storing Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins:
Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins make the perfect fall snack. They stay fresh in an air tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and the freezer for up to a month. When you remove them from the freezer, simply place the muffin in a toaster oven or microwave for 30-60s to thaw, and then enjoy!
Why Almond Flour?
Almond flour is a great alternative to wheat flour for so many reasons! It’s gluten free, low in carbohydrates, high in protein, packed with nutrients and has a slightly sweet flavor. I mean, what else could we ask for in a flour?! I purchase mine from Trader Joe’s.
2 cups almond flour 1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with coconut oil spray.
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 egg whites
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1/4 cup cinnamon apple sauce
1 cup peeled and diced honey crisp apples
2. In a large mixing bowl, place flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another medium sized mixing bowl, place egg whites and eggs and whisk.
4. Add in coconut oil, maple syrup and apple sauce.
5. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the dry.
6. Using a spatula, mix dry and wet ingredients.
7. Fold in apples.
8. Using a spoon, scoop muffin batter into muffin tins.
9. Place in oven for 15-18 minutes. The muffins are done when you pull out a clean toothpick from the middle of the muffin.
10. Place muffin tin on cooling rack for 2-3 minutes.
11. If you are enjoying muffins right away, carefully remove muffins from tin and enjoy.
12. If you are storing muffins, remove the muffins from the tin and place them back on cooling rack until they are completely cooled. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and in the freezer for a month.
2 cups almond flour
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with coconut oil spray.