These blueberry and lemon muffins are fluffy, flavorful, high in protein, nutrient dense and low in carbohydrates. Ready in under 20 minutes, they make the perfect grab and go snack.
Ingredient Notes and Health Benefits:
Almond Flour: High in fiber and gluten free, this flour is the perfect alternative to wheat
Lemon Juice and Zest: Both of these add so much flavor to the muffins and help to keep them moist
Eggs and Egg Whites: They add protein to the muffins and help hold them together
Blueberries: High in antioxidants and vitamins, they are super healthy. You can use fresh or frozen.
How to Make Blueberry and Lemon Muffins
These blueberry and lemon muffins are so easy to make!
- Grab two mixing bowls, one medium sized and one large
- In the large mixing bowl, place dry ingredients (flour, salt and baking soda) and set aside.
- In the other mixing bowl, place eggs and egg whites and whisk. Add in honey, coconut oil, lemon juice and lemon zest. Whisk again.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour the wet into the dry. Stir to mix ingredients.
- Pour in blueberries and fold into batter.
- Using a spoon, scoop muffin batter into greased (with coconut oil) muffin tin. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Remove muffins from oven using oven mitts. The muffins are done when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the muffins.
- Place muffin tin on a cooling rack for 2-3 minutes, then carefully remove muffins from tin and place back on cooling rack. Enjoy immediately or follow storing instructions below.
Storing the Blueberry and Lemon Muffins
These blueberry and lemon muffins are the perfect snack. They stay fresh in an air tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and the freezer for up to a month. When you remove them from the freezer, simply place the muffin in a toaster oven or microwave for 30-60s to thaw, and then enjoy!
Why Almond Flour?
Almond flour is a great alternative to wheat flour for so many reasons! It’s gluten free, low in carbohydrates, high in protein, packed with nutrients and has a slightly sweet flavor. I mean, what else could we ask for in a flour?! I purchase mine from Trader Joe’s. For other great snack ideas check out this Aussie Bites recipe from Chef Nat.
2 cups almond flour 1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with coconut oil spray.
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 egg whites
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp lemon zest
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup bluberries
2. In a large mixing bowl, place flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
3. In another medium sized mixing bowl, place egg whites and eggs and whisk.
4. Add in coconut oil, honey, lemon zest and lemon juice
5. Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into the dry.
6. Using a spatula, mix dry and wet ingredients.
7. Fold in blueberries.
8. Using a spoon, scoop muffin batter into muffin tins.
9. Place in oven for 15 minutes. The muffins are done when you pull out a clean toothpick from the middle of the muffin.
10. Place muffin tin on cooling rack for 2-3 minutes.
11. If you are enjoying muffins right away, carefully remove muffins from tin and enjoy.
12. If you are storing muffins, place them back on cooling rack until they are completely cooled. Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days and in the freezer for a month.
2 cups almond flour
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tin with coconut oil spray.